Special Education

Your Passion to Improve Education and the Quality of Life for all Children Starts Here

University of Cincinnati’s Master of Education in Special Education (SPED) program is designed for special education teachers who are passionate about not only improving learning outcomes but also the quality of life for children with special needs. Advocates and classroom teachers seeking to gain a greater understanding of how to affect change for all students may also want to pursue this transformative degree.

Depending on the student, SPED teaching methods can include intensive individualized instruction, problem-solving assignments, and small-group work. Teachers work closely with parents to inform them of their children’s progress and suggest techniques to promote learning outside of school.

Evidence-based teaching strategies allow these teachers to take special education students to the next level. As a classroom teacher who is passionate about improving the education and quality of life for all children, you’ll be exposed to theory and practice through a rigorous curriculum and you can graduate as a highly prepared Special Educator.

Choose one of 4 concentrations:

•    Advanced Studies
•    Autism Spectrum Disorder
•    Behavior Disorders
•   Transition to Work

Special Education Resources

A collection of articles and resources designed to help teachers like you determine if a degree in Special Education is the right path for your educational career.

Read More

Special Education Curriculum

This expertly developed and rigorous curriculum is designed to transform you into a critically reflective Special Educator prepared to meet the unique needs of students with disabilities.

Read More
call to action

Leave a Reply

− eight = 1


  • Alex says:

    What are the prerequisites for the masters in special education? Do you have to be a certified teacher or can you become certified while in the program?

  • Hello Alex, thank you for your interest. To be considered for admission into the Masters of Education in Special Ed, you will have to have an undergraduate degree from a regionally accredited school with a GPA of 3.0 or higher. Additionally you will have to take the GRE. For further information please call our admissions office at (800) 226-0075, and one of our Enrollment Advisors will be glad to assist you.

  • Deb K. says:

    Is there an average GRE score one must obtain to be accepted in to the Special Education master’s program?

  • Pamela Bush says:

    Hello Debra, thank you for your interest. While we do not have a required score, there are desired scores for the GRE. Please feel free to contact us at (800) 226-0075 and we’d be happy to discuss this in further detail with you.

  • Joy says:

    I am presently teaching and have 3 children and am finding it hard to complete my Masters IN the classroom. I need to complete my masters online. I would like to know how many credits will transfer. I currently have approx. 33 credits. While I know all credits will not transfer, what is the criteria for deciding what will transfer?

  • Hi Joy, thank you for your interest in the University of Cincinnati and for sharing some of your background. Transfer credits are evaluated by the Academic Director once official transcripts have been received. Please call (800) 226-0075 to give us the opportunity to answer any other questions that you may have.

  • Gina Mroczka says:

    Hello, I am a Master’s Candidate in the secondary school counseling program at West Chester University and looking to complete my final requirement of the 49.13 state professional education courses this upcoming Spring. I will also be graduating and need the class to file for my certification; however, I have been having a difficult time finding the course at any university outside of West Chester (or in the state for that matter) during the Spring semester. My own school only has one section available and I have a scheduling conflict. I believe the course, 7002 Reading and Writing for Students with Disabilities would meet the requirement, but was wondering if the course would be offered next semester. Also If so, how would I go about applying for just that single course and not the entire program?

    Thank you!

  • Thank you for inquiring about our program. We do offer classes for non-matriculating students. Please give us a call at 800-226-0075, and we can discuss your options.